The main functions of the Tourism Marketing Unit within this Division are to develop, monitor and review the overall policy framework for tourism marketing and to coordinate Departmental policy input in relation to North-South and East-West Co-operation. The high-level objective of the Tourism Impact Assessment Unit is to contribute to the formulation, implementation and review of Government policy as it impacts on tourism to ensure that sustainable and competitive tourism optimises the economic and social benefits to the State.
Specifically the Unit is involved in the following activities:
- Management of the Department’s tourism marketing Vote under subheads E4 (Tourism Ireland's Pay and Overheads) and E5 (Tourism Marketing Fund), including the preparation of annual and multi-annual budgets for tourism marketing;
- Monitoring the implementation of Tourism Ireland and Failte Ireland's marketing programmes in line with agreed objectives and targets;
- Ensuring appropriate corporate governance mechanisms are in place for marketing expenditure;
- Servicing and maintaining liaison arrangements with Tourism Ireland and Northern Ireland Department of Enterprise Trade and Investment;
- Supporting overseas Ministerial visits for tourism promotion purposes.
North-South and British-Irish Coordination
- Coordinating the Department's input to the overall policy framework for North/South and British-Irish co-operation.
- Servicing the Department's engagement with international aspects of Irish tourism policy through the European Union, OECD and other relevant international fora.
- Monitoring areas of policy and action that impact in a significant manner on the development of tourism and ensuring continuous review of strategy to reflect changing circumstances;
- Tracking the tourism season;
- Influencing and shaping developments, in conjunction with the Tourism State Agencies, on a broad range of Government policies that affect tourism – particularly relating to access, macroeconomic policy, environmental best practice and sustainability, rural development and policy research;
- Facilitating the cross-department input into key strategic Government policies.
Information available and contact points
General information in respect of tourism marketing activities and programmes operated by Fáilte Ireland and Tourism Ireland Ltd. are set out in a range of publications available directly from them.
Tel: (353 1) 884 7700 or 1890 525 525
Fax: (353 1) 855 6821.
5th Floor, Bishop's Square,
Tel: (353 1) 476 3400
Fax: (3531) 476 3666
Web: http://www.discoverireland.ie (Domestic Consumer)
Web: http://www.ireland.com (Overseas Consumer)
Web: http://www.failteireland.ie (Corporate)
For Departmental information, contact:
Tel: Anthony Donnelly (353 64) 66 27385
Fax: (353 64) 66 27386